Saturday, July 2, 2011

Myeongdong and Host Family

This is probably going to end up being a small novel with all I have to talk about.

I guess let's start with how life worked living at the hostel. After landing, we lived in a hostel for three nights and two days. Hostels are great. Except that I was rooming with 10 other girls >< It was loud and a little nerve-wrecking! But I made it~
The first day, we went to a welcoming ceremony hosted by the US embassy. Highlight: 4 students from a girl's university came and played traditional instraments for us! Then, we ate lunch at the YWCA in Myeongdong. . . . Then we had free time. In Myeongdong. After coming from CLI, Akira, Emma and I had no clue what to do when they said, okay, be back in the lobby in an hour!!
Myeongdong is the shopping district (appearently) of Seoul. It's over priced and VERY crowded at night during the weekend. Akira ended up going to the hospital because her strep had been acting up, so Emma and I roamed around alone. Now, you're probably like "Oh my god! She had to go to the hospital?? Is she okay?" Note: Korea has universal healthcare. You are not feeling well? Go to the hospital! It only cost about 20-25$ for her visit and her meds and now she says shes feeling amazing~!
After that, we went to another place that I cannot remember to meet the college students who are supposed to be our guides/friends through all of this. My guide is Seungwoo. There are too other people in my group, Peter (who is Chinese) and Sarah (who is Korean). I feel really awkward >< Luckily, for that day, we had an activity with another group and I was with Alexia and a girl named Audra. We all had a lot of fun! Seungwoo is hilarious.
The next day we went to orientation. LOOONG. But it was pretty nice.
Afterwards we went back ot the hostel. And guess what: "Curfew is 9."
Oh my god. I feel like a free woman.
So Akira, Emma, and I went back to Myeongdong. Akira and I dragged Emma to sticker pictures (purikura) and Akira and I had a blast. Emma warmed up to it after while. Then Emma had to go back because her host family was picking her up early. Akira and I went into a little shop where she got a cellphone case and some BIGBANG merch. Then we found a street vendor selling icecream~! It was about a 1.50$ for a towering cone. This was how we found out that in Korea, you must eat your icecream very very fast! It took less than five minutes for us to feel like idiots because we had chocolate icecream dripping on us ><

The next day, our host families came.
My host family is a mom, a dad, and a 7 year old girl. Oddly enough, we get along very very well~! Yesterdeay, they picked me up in the car and we drove to the house. Then the dad had to go to work, so the mom and I waited for Kayoung to get home. When she did, we ate bulgogi for lunch and then went to Sogang by subway so I knew how to get there. We were going to go to the bathhouse, but when we got back from Sogang, I pretty much crashed><
When I woke up, we ate dinner (which was just a wrap with leftover bugolgi and vegetables) and then I handed out gifts. Kayoung hasn't stopped playing with the marble game I got her, so I'm pretty happy about that.
When I woke up this morning (about an hour later than I wanted too >>) Kayougn came in and we played the marble game xD
Then we had breakfast, which was. . . actually, I'm not really sure what it was, but it was good! Kimchi for breakfast however. . . this is new. And will take some getting used to!

Theres a lot more I want to write, but I'm worried that I'm taking too long to type this! Pictures (though not many!) are up!

Also, my ears still haven't popped. Yesterday, I thought they finally had, but this morning when I woke up, I still couldn't hear out of my left one ><

3 comments:

  1. I loved the pictures. Your host sister is adorable! I wish we could meet her.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to stay in a hostel when traveling, I'm sure you met interesting people :)
    Did you get my text before you left? It was a bit long and you never replied so I didn't think you did...
    I can't wait to read more. I'm sure Monique and I will be fighting to be the first to comment once again hahaha!

    Jt

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♪I AM MISSING YOU, DO YOU REMEMBER ME?
    I AM MISSING YOU, DO YOU REMEMBER ME~?♪

    Now that I've got that done with, Minaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I am missing you, do you remember me? -whacked-

    Everything sounds awesome so far~, despite the travel troubles. I don't remember your e-mail... so you should e-mail me! You know it, first name.last name@gmail.com xD

    -wibbles- I miss you. ;_;

    Shelbi

    ReplyDelete