Saturday, July 9, 2011

Subways, Hello Kitty, and Gapyeong

Okay, so I haven't posted in almost a week because I was waiting for something really interesting to post about.
My past week has pretty much gone like this:
Get up, eat breakfast with Aunt Lee and Gayoung (Jaehak leaves super early), see Gayoung off to school, then find something to do until 12:40 when I leave for school. I've decided I don't like afternoon school. Not one bit.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays we meet in groups with a Korean supporter who gives us extra tutoring sessions and takes us around Seoul. My group members are Sarah and Peter, our supporter is Seungwoo. Seungwoo is hilarious in a very dorky sort of way. He obviously isn't comfortable with his English, so he tries to make a joke out of it (even though his English really isn't that bad. . . .). On Tuesdays, we meet him at his university to study and on Thursdays, we go somewhere. This Thursday, we went to. . . somewhere (I can tell you the subway stop, but not the town ><) and made traditional Korean paper fans. Then we went to another place where there is a giant market for lunch. I got to see pig heads. . . Sadly, I didn't get any pictures ><

As for school, it's pretty great. Monday we took a placement test, and somehow I managed to end up in intermediate. Tuesday was a complete joke. We pretty much just reviewed hangul, the Korean written alphabet, for 4 hours. Wednesday it picked up a little and Thursday we got our textbooks, and we are actually learning things now~! Yaaaay!!! We also have at least 10 pages of homeowrk a night (record to beat is currently 20 pgs).

Monday, since it was the 4th, Akira and I went out to "celebrate". We went to Tom n Tom's Coffee, one of the thousands of coffee shops in Korea. (Basic layout of a Korean street: coffee shop, make-up shop, cellphone shop, restaurant, coffee shop, clothes shop, cellphone shop, make-up shop, stand selling iphone 4 cases, coffee shop.) We ordered italian sodas and apple cinnamon bread/toast. We were expecting the usual, Starbucks size scone or something. . . holy crap we were wrong! It was huge and we didn't even finish it >< Pictures posted.
After that, we roamed Sincheon and went shopping! We found this super cute clothes store and I bought two dresses and a long shirt for less than 25$. I love it. Otherwise, we didn't find much else. . . .
When I got home, Gayoung, Aunt Lee, and I went for a walk on the Han River. I think I may end up dedicating a whole post on the Han River, because it's so beautiful. I cross is every day on the way to school, and it's my favourite part of the ride. I'll have to take some more pictures. . . Anyways, on our walk, I finally saw fireworks on the 4th for the first time in 3 years. I was pretty darn happy!

Tuesday evening I went to get a new phone because mine liked to shut off when ever it felt like it, and Thursday was my trip to the doctor. I'm happy to say I can pretty much hear again!
Wednesday, Emma, Akira and I went to Ewha where we saw the most offensive shirt we've ever laid eyes upon, Korea hipster, and more cheap clothes. Afterwards, we went to McDonalds, which, I must say, is a must while abroad.

Friday, Akira and I met up for lunch, since we live super close and have nothing to do in the mornings, and then met up after class and went to Hongdae. There was a very particular reason we were going to Hongdae: the Hello Kitty Cafe.
We took the subway to Hongdae and within 10 minutes, got lost (well, we could get back to the subway, just not the cafe). Akira had been there before, but they had gotten lost on the way there as well, and we went in a lot of circles. We asked about 5 different people how to get there and eventually found it. OH MY GOD HELLO KITTY CAFE ALKSJFLAKSDJLAK.
Yeah. That was pretty much my mind then intire time. We ordered caramel macciatos and waffles shaped like the cat herself! It was super yummy ^.^ Then we navigated home and found a much quicker route from teh subway, so we can get there easier next time!

Then, yesterday I went with Gayoung and Aunt Lee to Gapyeong! Gapyeong is up in the moutains and I'm not really sure how far away it was because on the way up we were stuck in traffic and on the way back, Aunt Lee got lost!! But we pretty much went up to this little area where you could rent a super small house and stay for a bit. There was a stream that was so clean you could drink from it, and lots of trees and mountains. It was very lovely!! We ate a late lunch/ early dinner with some of Aunt Lee's friends on an outside, traditional table. I felt like Anthony Bordain, except, I wasn't allowed to drink. Sorry Anthony. There was a TV on a covered platform next to us (there are pictures so you can look for a better description) and they had Music Core on, which was interesting to watch. I picked up a few works here and there and over all had a good time! On the way home, Aunt Lee got lost and we didn't get home umtil after 10:00!!

Now, in this post I've talked a lot about the subways. Why, you may ask? Because they are amazaing. I walk about two blocks to my subway entrance and once I'm on, I can get pretty much anywhere in Seoul. It's absolutely wonderful!! Aunt Lee gave me a little pocket map I can keep in my purse which makes transfers super easy! The only thing I don't like about the subway is the fact that it is a subway. Except for crossing the Han River, it's all underground, so there's no view >< But it's still very convienient!

Now to reply to comments, since JT is so desperate for them! ^.^

Ellen: I'm sorry >< I will have to check with you before I post something about language again!!!

Mom: Come on! Leave more of a comment than that!

Zach: You will love this: my trip to the doctor and my two bottles of antibiotic cost me less than 25$. And that's without insurance! And I'm actually not teaching English (you have to have a degree to teach) but I'm going to a university here to learn Korean. Thank you so much for reading though!!

Emma's Aunt Susan: I'm sorry!! But thank you for reading!!

Jen: Thank you!!

Jt: :p this better??

7 comments:

  1. First comment on this post WOOT! Long time listener first time caller.

    So happy you're getting this opportunity. I'd love to know if you ever found the subway station where you can pre-order your groceries via iphone. Be safe kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know where you went for the doctor. Because all the international clinics are supposedly expensive and you can't get medicine there, lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mina--thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures! Hope you don't mind me enjoying yours, since Emma hasn't posted any yet!!! Amy Dossey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you finally posted! And I love the pics. And the video of Gayoung playing the piano is amazing. She is so talented!

    JT - where are you?

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating time you're having. I was surprised to see so much English in the tore pictures. But otherwise, looks like a great city. Love the vid of your little sister at the piano. Actually, all the videos were good. Keep them coming. I am curious how your family learned English. Keep on learning!

    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    Aunt Nancy here.

    Grandma, Lena, and I are following your blog. Love the pictures - cities, countryside, people, and food.

    Tell us more about Korean cuisine. I know that they eat lots of rice, noodles, veggies, and meat. But, when I see the pictures of a table of food, I have no idea what any of the dishes actually are. What is a typical breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack? Just curious.

    Sounds like you are enjoying your adventure. So wonderful.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It sounds like you are having an amazing time. I am so jealous you went to the hello kitty cafe! How are you doing with your studies? Easy for you? Hard? I always wondered if their language was so full of slang like ours.

    Donna Sharpnack

    ReplyDelete