Sunday, July 31, 2011

Amazing Weekend

A lot happened this weekend, so I'm going to update a little!

Friday evening, I was privillaged enough to go to Dongdaemun Night Market, which is a sketch, wholesale market where you can only buy more than three items at a time and only if you are in the retail business (or something along those lines). So we went with a friend of Aunt Lee's and had a lot of fun! I bought almost an entirely new wardrobe (sans pants) for less than 40$. One of the dresses I bought had a retail price of 50$ but I managed to get it for 15$. I bought rainboots that usually cost 40$ for 22$. I'm pretty proud!
There was also that fun moment when we ran into a family (this was above ground, not in the market) where two of the boys debated in Korean whether or not their should speak to me in English. Eventually, I went "Hello" and they both jumped, which was hilarious. They then tried to tell me they were from New York.
It was a great night.

On Saterday, I traveled down to Akira's station and we went on an adventure in the boonies to get to Bucheon. I say the boonies, but thats only because it wasn't packed. Though, for that beautiful stretch where the train was above ground, all we saw were trees and nature. It was beautiful. We traveld on two train lines we had never been on before.
Now, why did you go out to Bucheon again? Because that's where the famous vloggers of Eatyourkimchi live. We got to meet Simon and Martina at this cute (and overpriced) little cafe near their old appartment. Akira and I judged that it would take us about an hour and a half to get there, thinking we would get lost at some point. When we transfered onto the dark blue line (line 1) we thought we had gotten on the wrong train, but it ended up just being an express train to the stop we needed. So guess what~!? We got there early! After getting out of the station, we hailed a cab to get to City Hall, the area where the cafe is located. We ended up being at least 15 minutes early, but Simon and Martina were already there, so we struck up a conversation and started asking about Korea.
I learned a lot about what it's like to be a teacher here and got some tips on preparing for it back home. They also told us some funny stories about things that had happened to them since they had been there.
They were super nice and just as funny in person as in their videos. Sadly, I haven't been able to watch any of their recent videos for the past two weeks. . . T.T So you should all go watch them for me! (link in the sidebar~)
So after the meetup was done ( a lot of people showed up!) Akira and I hopped over to a park for lunch. We were eventually joined by Alexia and Marina, both of who were at the meetup, before we left. Martina had given us a shortcut to get home (a bus route) so we all boarded the bus, but since none of us had been on an express bus before, we sorta didn't even know if it was going the right way! I ended up asking the guy sitting next to Akira and he said we were heading towards Hapjeong, which is in Seoul and almost eveyone knows where it is. So we were set. Until I looked up and noticed my appartment complex about 10 minutes from the Hapjeong spot. Since Akira and I both live on line 9 and the line 9 entrence is near my house, we both got off. Alexia, who thought we were getting off at Hapjeong, got off too. We started following the road back, missed a turn, and ended up very very lost. Here is one of the best things about Korea: lost? Go up to some woman and go "ajuma, ______ eodi e isseoyo?" It works every time. Except this time when the people we asked had no idea where we were trying to go. We ended up finding someone who could take us to the nearest subway station and bam! We made it home~

Sunday, it was pleasently raining. But that was all okay because for once Gayoung didn't say "ansaranghaeyo" (I don't love you!) to me! She actually said "Amellia eonni! Saranghaeyo!!" I died inside. Then Aunt Lee decided it would be a good day for me to see the ocean. So I put my new rainboots on and we left for Incheon! Somehow, we ended up on a ferry that took us to an island. We had fun feeding seaguls shrimp chips. We ate at a small little place by a beach and took some pictures. Even in the rain, it was really fun!
After that, we went to the cutest little town called Provence. No clue where it is, but it would be very very far north. All the buildings were painted bright colors and the arcitecture had a very European feel to it. I loved it. We got coffee and shopped around.
Then, as we were driving back, the right side of the highway was suddenly covered with barbed wire and there was a huge river. Aunt Lee pleasently said "Oh, that's North Korea." Gayoung was very upset when I asked her to trade me seats so I could take pictures.
The other side was mostly just mountains and trees. Very rainy, just like the rest of the Korean penninsula. There were a few buildings here and there, but after awhile the river forked and we were staring at Incheon again, not the North. All and all, it was pretty eerie. . .

Comments. . . are looking sparse T.T

Kayla: I miss you too! And we are supposed to get more rain all week T.T I'm so sick of it!!

JT: What are you going to do now that my mom is out of town and you can't race her??

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet I'm just commenting because I want a cookie ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very pleased about your bargain hunting. Your story reminds me of the time at your age when I was lost in the London Underground! Although language was not an issue, still a little scary.....Im proud of your adventurous spirit!
    Kealey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I read it now! I am sad you didn't get to meet Simon and Martina's funny little dog, haha. Sounds fun though, besides the rain.

    ReplyDelete