Monday, July 18, 2011

Quick Post~!

Saturday, was recovery day. Highlight: Watching Korean TV, namely Mnet Countdown and Music Core (I missed B1A4 and Block B though T.T). It was even funnier when Gayoung would point to the preformers and call them "ajuma" and "ajeossi" which literaly translates to aunt and uncle, but the terms are used to name older people you judge to be about the age of your parents (or consider too old to call "eonni/nuna" and "eoppa/hyeong" which is literally brother and sister. This is only used to address people older than you but still look young enough to be a sibling). I take one look at these people and tell Gayoung that I'm about the same age. I'm not an ajuma!! T.T We also watch some other popular shows, like "We Got Married" which I was surprised to find Gayoung liked...?

Yesterday I woke up with lots of energy. So much engergy, I at a whole three bites of rice soup. Yesssss! Actually, I was feeling pretty good, just not really hungry. So, since I was super bored of being cooped up in the house the day before, I asked if we could go for a walk in Hangang Park. Because I love the Hangang. And Saturday was my first day not seeing it since I've been living here T.T
Instead of going to Hangang Park, we went to Seonyudo Park!!! Yaaaay! Seonyudo Park is an island in the middle of the Hangang and you take a little bridge over. It is really really beautiful! Seonyudo Park is a perfect example of why I really love Seoul. It's so green. Every where: green green green green MOUNTAIN. (No mountains in Seonyudo park though. . .)
When we got home, Jaehak had come back from Busan and had made spaghetti. I ate almost a whole bowl! We then all sat down to watch a movie together, which was really fun! Jaehak is a Korean business man which means he's almsot never at home, so this was one of the few times we've done something together!
After that, I went to meet up with my new friend Dongjun, who is not only going to Mac next year, but majoring in Linguistics as well. Yes, we get along great!
We walked around Gangnam and had sushi for dinner (I also had tonkatsu and was amazingly hungry enough that I ate a lot). I bought a cute headband, dragged him to sticker pictures, and answered questions about America. We also went into this huge bookstore and I bought Le Petit Prince in Korean. I can't wait to start reading it!

And, since I have lots of free time during the week, we met up again this morning and went to Jongno-go, where the Gyeongbokgun (Gyeongbok Palace) is. In Japan, there are temples, in Korea, there are palaces. If you go to Korea ever, I think it's a must to see some of them. I'm still totally in awe of ondol heating. There are a lot of really beautiful pictures, but they are taking forever to upload so I'm not going to post them here!
Before we went to the Palace, we saw the giant statues of Admiral Yi and King Sejong the Great. Admiral Yi is infamous for being one of the greatest naval comanders in miltary history. He once led a fleet of 13 ships against the Japanese forces who out numbered him by more than 25 to 1, and won.
King Sejong the Great is also very famous in Korea for helping creat the written alphabet. During the second year of his reign, it bothered him that so many people could read or write because of the difficulty of Chinese characters, so he formed an institute to create a uniquely Korean alphabet. The shapes of the characters are apparently based on the shape your mough, tongue, and teeth make when saying them.

And this post took me way too long to write. I'm going to go study now, because recently I've been very bothered by how little Korean I know.

2 comments:

  1. It's oppa 오빠 not eoppa 어빠 -whacked-

    Gayoung, I'm older than Mina, stop making me feel old ;o;

    And aaaw, Mina has an oppa and therefore should take a second major in what he's majoring in since you like it anyway. *o*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac friend! Is he gonna be a freshman too?

    ReplyDelete