Sunday, July 3, 2011

찜질방

So, I thought instead about blogging about every single aspect of my day, I'll talk a little about what I did, then some intersting aspect of Korean culture. Today: 찜질방.
But first, what happened yesterday. After blogging, we ate breakfast and Jaehak (host dad) turned on the news. When it ended about 30 minutes later, much to my horror, my host mom suggested another show to watch. Her suggestion was based on an accidental occurance the day before, where I had my Korean notebook open to the particles page (particles. . . don't exist in English, sorry, can't explain them). One of the practice sentences was from when Emma was over during her Spring Break and read "수퍼주니아를 사랑해요." I can already hear Shelbi laughing. . . . Anyways, in English, that reads "I love Super Junior." Oops. I was trying to avoid annoying my host family with my obsession, but Aunt Lee (host mom) is just too clever I guess. . . .
So some channel with music videos was switched on. Most. Awkward. Moment. Ever. . . But Aunt Lee likes Nickhun? Despite Jaehak obviously not liking anything to do with k-pop, I think she is a little more open to it (seeing as how later in the car, she started playing various other artists from her iPhone ). I would also like to point out for those of you who like k-pop and watch MVs a lot, they look like cheap soaps on korean television. I don't think I'll watch them again. Now, I fully plan to have a post about how obsessed Korea is with idols, but I'm waiting until I have more pictures to give you a full example. Today is 찜질방. Not idols. 찜질방 is better.

After lunch, we went to 북천 (Bukchon) which is a nice little town where there are many tradidtional houses and a huge palace. We went to the 한옥 (Hanok) museam, and I learned lots about how Korean houses were built. Interesting point: the stove area was built lower than the rest of the house and the heat from it was carried through vents under the house to a chimny on the other side, thus, heating the entire house through the floor. I thought was pretty awesome. . .
And, since it was pouring down rain (does it ever stop rainning here?) we headed for the car, but not without stopping by a coffee stand where I had the single best caramel macchiato I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I want to go back *.*

Now, the important part: 찜질방. Read: Jjimjilbang. 찜질방 is the Korean sauna. But to explain the Korean sauna, you have to take step back to talk about the Korean bathhouse, which I actually don't know the name for . . .
Korean public baths are pretty much the greatest things ever. You go, shower, and then soak in various degrees of bath water to your hearts content. Some pools have jets to massage you, some pools have jets that help pound down fat (they hurt T.T) ect ect. You can even swim in some (see: Gayoung, who brought goggles). Afterwards you feel super relaxed and super clean!!
When you have soaked to your hearts content, you wash off and go change into these orange. . .outfits and go to the 찜질방 which is a coed area with like 10 diffrerent saunas. Its pretty much this big room, with mats laid out, and there are many many other rooms with glass windows where people sit and overheat. Its wonderful~!
For this next section, please prepare your celcius converter. We worked our way up. Starting at 43C degrees, we progressed up to 49C and 57C. Then we hung outside on the mats for a bit and I learned a few new Korean words! Then we went to the ice room, which was -1C. Across from the ice room was an oddly shapped room with no windows, just a low door to a circular, clay-walled room. I asked Aunt Lee what it was and she said it's super hot and asked if I could try. So we went in~! I have no idea how hot it was, but within about 10 seconds, I was sweating and in a minute I was drenched. The lights inside were dimmed and it was crowded, but oddly comfortable. A sand timer sat in the middle of the room to keep people from staying in too long.
I have no idea how hot that room was, but it was hotter than the 67C room we went into next!

Over all, it was really relaxing. both the bath and 찜질방 are really good for your health and body. I'm definitely going back!

Sadly enough, it didn't fix my ear. Still can't hear out of my left ear. Becoming concerned ><

Today I have a test, so I'm going to go study now!
Happy 4th of July USA~!

7 comments:

  1. English totally has particles! Though...they function completely differently from Korean particles...haha.

    Anyway thanks for posting some photos (unlike Emma!) and for writing so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The race is on JT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Awesome! So just a large amount of comments here, because I just found out about your blog, and i want to comment on the past few posts! :)

    I always find it funny, how other countries who have free health care, they are SOOOOO MUCHHH better than the USA, we should take notes and learn something!!

    Also, when do you start working (Your going to be teaching English right?) Can you speech fluent Korean yet? LOL

    Your pictures are awesome, that shopping area, looks amazing. Anyway, Ill keep reading your blog! Is there a way to subscribe so that it notifies you VIA E-mail when you update? or do you just have to check frequently? (I am a wordpress kind of guy!)

    - Zach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Figured it out... there is a box in the upper right hand corner *Hits himself in the head* LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Emma's Aunt Susan...enjoying reading what you are doing along with Emma's blog. Also wanted to say watch your references to linguistics because your particle comment resulted in us getting a lesson in particles over lunch :-) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're having a great time! Keep updating!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh boy almost a week behind... i need to pick it up!

    what happened to replying to comments like your japan blog eh?

    JT

    ReplyDelete