Tuesday, July 7, 2009

HOT!

It`s hot. Like so hot. You have no idea. Japan isn`t hot like America. It`s hot, and HUMID. If you have fluids in your body, you are sweating. If you`re a gaijin who drinks as much water as I do, you`re drenched. If you are a gaijin who drinks to much water and you ride your bike.... Let`s just leave it at that. When I ride my bike with my glasses on, evertime I stop, they fog up. Am I making an impression?
Now, I know it`s been hot in Kansas, but in Kansas the humidity is not like this, and people use air conditioning and fans. In Japan, we open windows and use senshu, paper fans. At night, there is a fan I can turn on in my room, but when Ayumi comes in she sets the timer for about 2 hours and its off until the next night. I also don`t sleep with a sheet, I sleep with a blanket, which makes it worse T.T
Okay, so now that I have my complaining out, lets reply to comments*
JT: That totally made my day. When mom called last night, she said it made her laugh too.
Mom: You play tennis to much! XD
Molly: Yen, actually, came pretty easy. For the most part, I don`t actually use it, but when I do, it`s not to bad. Time. . . it takes me a second, but I`m getting it down!!
JT, Mom, and Molly: You three get a cookie since you always comment!!
Kayla: Don`t loose your hearing, please. It would make listening to the new TH and CB albums very hard!
Heather: Remind me to tell you about the spider incident while Ayumi and I were watching Fruits Basket. . .
Diane: I`m going to have to look into one of those DVDs.... As for the forgein DVDs, they play on computers, that`s where I watch my German imports.
And to those of you who don`t comment, please do! It really makes my day, and I do read every single one multiple times!!

Okay! So my life!
Sunday: Church..... ugh. After the sermon and sunday school, there was a really long prayer service. And of course it was in Japanese!! So to pass the time, I sat and read the Bible. Yeah. Really. I will tell you though, I now understand why the Vampires in Trinity Blood were called Methuesala. Methuesala was the longest living person in the Bible, he was 969 when he died. . .
So! After over an hour in there, we left EARLY to go to Shinjuku for a Tea Ceremony and Ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement). I got to wear a yukata, which was fun, but it didn`t fit right. The tea was great, but Ikebana was confusing. I talked with a friend of mine (this was another YFU gathering) and she told how she ahd been spending way to much money. I think I might have spent over 100$... maybe. She said she had spend over 300$.... oops....
Monday, Kindergarten. 5 Junior HS girls came to work at Fujimi and so did two boys who had gone to Fujimi and then moved to Cali. They spoke English but wouldn`t really talk to me.
I talked with one of the teachers about soccer, which was great!! And the Yumiko sensei started to teach me the old names of the Japanese months. The girls in Totoro, Satsuki and Mae are named after months. Mae is obviosly May (they are said the same) cause she was named after the English month, and I think Satsuki was the oly name for May in Japanese... I don`t have the notes with me, sorry.
And today, Kindergarten again. It was the girls last day, so they gave a concert. Two clarinets, two on piano, and one on bells. Gues what they played. . . The Totoro song of course!!! あるこ あるこ! わたしわ げんき! あるこ の だいすき! どんそんいこう!
Yeah. Also, yesterday at snack time, we had these icepops, and one flavor was grape. The lady who was helping out, was cutting one open and the juice splashed on my white shirt. She felt so bad about it, but being American, I was just like `no no its fine, forget it`. And so today when she came in with a gift bowing like crazy and saying I`m so sorry I was like `what?`
But she got me a really cute hankerchief and some little origami things. So now I have two hankerchiefs, one was a gift from otoosan (he got Ayu and I a pair) and then from her. See why I don`t spend any money?
Kindergarten was also only a half day today. So at 12, Ayumi and I went to a Ramen shop for lunch. It`s finals week at her school, so she only had three hours of tests today. Which reminds me of lastnight. . .oh god! So she had a geography test coming up and they were studying climate. She had all this stuff to memorize. She would walk around spouting out the most random things as she tried to memorize the material! It was so funny!!
I have some pictures. But theres a lot and I dont want to upload them right now.
Also, I wasnt a Congo African Grey Parrot.

10 comments:

  1. If you'll read the Poisonwood Bible, maybe we'll talk about the parrot! Remember its set in the Congo.

    You really should start shopping more!

    Trying to think of something positive and uplifting to say about your suffering in the heat, but as I'd be miserable too, I really can't think of anything. :) If it makes you feel any better the temps are going back to the 90's here this weekend, so we'll be in the same boat. Well, almost.

    Morning JT - hope you had a good practice! :)

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ko ni chi wa.

    Aunt Nancy here. I have been reading your posts and showing your pictures to Lena and Grandma. Lena is developing a little bit of an interest in Japan but I don't know too much about Japan - Mount Fuji, cherry blossom trees, the shinkansen train, karaoke, sushi. But, we have taught Lena how to say hello and goodbye in Japanese.

    It is 65 and rainy in New Hampshire. Cool and wet. Doesn't seem too summery but I guess it is better than 90s with high humidity.

    Maybe you answered this question already and I missed it, but why exactly do so many Japanese people do the V-sign when having their photos takes? Victory? Peace? Is it related to the WWII bombings of Japan? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Have a good day and "Sa yo nara"

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amelia, Sorry I haven't Commented in a while, I have been really busy, I went to a college this weeks for video stuff, but anyway... Sounds like your having new experiences there, and lots of fun. ITS SO HOT HERE TOO!!!! Also, I haven been meaning to ask you, how is your French coming along? Just E-mail or post on your blog if you have any questions! Well Ill talk to ya later...

    - Zach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad all the stuff we struggled with is becoming easier for you. I wish k could say the same for myself. And... Did you take video of them playing the totoro song? Cause, that'd be amazing. OH!!!! And, while you're in japan... Do you think you could find the sakana song?! That'd be amazing. And. I wanna know why you want that parrot. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amelia!

    Wow--it sounds like you're getting to do lots of fun things in Japan! I've enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about all your exciting adventures! Have you had enough fish to eat for the rest of your life now? :)

    It's hard to believe it's July already! Where is the summer going? Bryan and I have been keeping the garden going--only a couple tomatoes so far. But everything will hopefully start producing yummy veggies and fruit soon! I can't wait to pick a watermelon and dive right into it! :) Unfortunately, some robins got to enjoy our blueberries before we did, so I hope they were a tasty treat!

    We can't wait to see all your pictures when you get back. Enjoy the rest of your time in Japan!!

    Love,
    Janice & Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! I will try not to lose my hearing.... It's good so far but I think the M-80 may have traumatized me..... Anyways.... it is hot here but it doesn't sound as bad as what you're going through. Good luck with that.... And I do have a question.... when are you coming home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't think about playing the video on the computer. I just was aware of the DVD players and the playstations having regional codes. Glad you have a way to watch them. I don't think I would want to visit Japan when it is hot. I don't like the heat and humidity here, I can't imagine being without A/C. Stay cool and have fun.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay what the heck im like last to comment! darn! lol
    im not going to type much sorry. im really tired and need to sleep! ack!
    *sigh* so its hot... well right now its 75 haha sucks to be you. but i feel bad for you i guess. being hot is not fun. i'd rather be too cold than too hot. ugh
    and wow you were so bored you read the bible. i dont even think i'd do that!
    sorry i cant type much. :(
    oh yes, and thanks for the cookie!
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  9. stay cool!! even though you already are hahahaha... can't wait to read your new post!!


    Loves and Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked up the Tokyo weather on weather.com and it looks like it is in the high 70s and low 80s with rain at this point. So, you must be feeling a little more comfortable (unless weather.com is misinformed!).

    Your cousin Lena is going to an art camp this week where the theme is the "Wonder of Horses." They draw (as well as 5 to 8 year olds can) pictures of horses, paint horse pictures, sculpt horses, talk about the spirit of horses, prance around like horses, and say "neigh" a great deal. Tomorrow, they are going to a horse farm. Lena thinks that the pretty horses might pose for their portraits - hehe! Anyway, I have told her that you were really into horses a few years back and she wants you to know that she likes horses, too (and dogs and cats but not sharks or orcas).

    Enjoy your day!

    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete