Wednesday, December 21, 2016

It's hot

Most people who know me know that I am a cold weather person. I like snow, I like the cold. A few years ago in Minnesota it dropped down to -40F and I remember loving the thrill of walking to work in weather so cold it could kill me.

Most people who know me know that I am not a hot weather person. 75F is the hottest temperature I can generally tolerate. Anything about that and I cease to exist. I burn easily and overheat even easier.

Most people know that I moved to Namibia just over a year ago. Saying it's hot hear does not begin to cover it. Late spring and early summer bring the hottest weather to this country. It becomes so hot that sitting in front of a fan does nothing but blow hot air in your face (but you do it anyways because at least it feels like you're doing something). At night, you can't sleep because it's so hot. During the day, it's hard to eat, hard to move because it's just so hot. There is no boredom like heat boredom, where you can't do anything because everything requires moving and moving raises your body temperature. The only relief is to soak in cool water long enough drop your body temperature.

Though I am not in love with this part of veld life, I still am grateful for the experience. I now know that I'm missing nothing by aspiring to move to the Arctic Circle. On the plus side, I finally managed to get wifi in the village. I supposed I'll have to start walking a bit more to use the internet, even though it's hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment