Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Vending Machines and Karaoke

As requested, this post will contain information about a bunch of things including vending machines in Japan!

So let's start with vending machines! Firstly, let me say that I don't actually have that many fun vending machine stories. Or, at least ones I find interesting. Except maybe buying beer from one. That was fun. But in Japan, there are a lot of interesting things you can buy from vending machines. These vending machines are everywhere. For example, in the lunch area at school there is a collection of at least 10 vending machines in a row where you can get pretty much everything you need for lunch. They have good melon soda.

A list of all the things I've seen or heard of being in vending machines:


  1. Drinks
    • Bottled drinks
    • Canned drinks
    • Hot drinks in cups
    • Cold drinks in cups
    • Melon Soda
  2. Food
    • Including ice cream yo
  3. Beer
  4. Cigarettes 
  5. Umbrellas
  6. Socks
  7. Magazines/books
  8. Omamori
My favorite is definitely that last one. I've never seen a vending machine that sells them, but apparently outside some shrines, Shinto good-luck charms called omamori. Usually you buy them from the priestesses inside shrines, but, you know, sometimes you're in a hurry and need a blessing. 
There is a drinking and smoking age here, but with everything purchasable via vending machine I figure there isn't much respecting it......Not being able to smoke means nothing from the cigarette machines, but a friend of mine has used them and was happy to report that they even come with gum so that your breath smells better!
The beer ones are alright. You can also get sake if I remember correctly. 


The other thing I want to talk about is karaoke. Because karaoke is like one of the funnest things to do ever. I've never actually done Western style karaoke, but I've heard you pretty much do it in front of a bunch of strangers. Yeah, that's weird. In Japan (and Korea) you go with your friends. You rent out a small room for a few hours and sing your heart out. I went for the first time this trip some time last week. Me, my friend Claire, and her friend Yukari went to an AWESOME place with all you can eat ice cream. We stayed for about two hours and it barely cost us $5. Yeah. 
This weekend I went with some friends to an arcade where we also got some awesome karaoke. The nice thing is there is English songs for people who don't know Japanese music, so even some of my friends who don't like Japanese music can enjoy! There's also Korean and Chinese music. It's the best. I could spend hours in karaoke. 

So yeah, two pretty interesting things about Japan so far :)

If there's something else you want me to talk about please let me know in the comments!!

2 comments:

  1. So I'm curious as to why you can buy socks in vending machines. Are those items that you might otherwise forget and decide you need while out for the day? An umbrella makes sense...but socks?!

    And Karaoke with just friends in a private room would be WAY better than Western Karaoke! You should post some videos of your songs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the Japanese girls recorded me and another American doing a very patriotic rendition of American Pie, but I'm not sure! I'll try to get some footage next time! As for the socks, I'm not entirely sure either. I suppose it could be for when it rains and your socks get wet? Then you can buy another pair? People wear socks with sandals here as well, so this is a legitimate concern I suppose....

      Delete